Each year I come up with some grand ideas about how to spend time with the ones you hold near and dear without breaking the bank.
I mean really, isn’t that what the holidays are all about? Spending time together is my very favourite gift.
So, this year, I bring you a list of ideas for being jolly on a budget, and I encourage to you to do at least TWO of them.
- Have a Christmas movie marathon. Define that however you like, but it implies watching more than one movie. It requires that you snuggle under a cozy blanket and sip hot cocoa laced with something that will make you giddy.
If you’re not sure which movies to watch, try one of these;
2) Wander through a Christmas Market – no purchase required, except for a minimal entrance fee and optional hot cocoa or eggnog. If you go on a cold night, all the better; it’s a great excuse to snuggle your sweetie.
3) Attend a local carol sing. Usually the admission cost is a bit of food for a local food bank. What better way to celebrate the true meaning of the season?
4) Have a Christmas themed games night with your closest pals or your family. BYOB and a snack to share. Voila!
5) Go for a walk on a snowy night. Take in the Christmas decorations and talk about your hopes, dreams, what your favourite traditions are.
6) Bake and decorate a gingerbread house of your own design. Pick out your favourite candy together, make the gingerbread (gingerbread often has to sit overnight before you bake it, so it could be a romantic pj party!), decorate the house just the way you want I to be.
7) Read your favourite Christmas poems or stories.
8) One of my favourite Christmas traditions is to watch Charlie Brown’s Christmas. It makes me smile, laugh, and remember what the true spirit of the season is really all about.
Wishing you a very happy holiday season that brings you closer to the ones you love.