Lots of women are too much of something in someone else’s opinion.
I’ve been accused of being too much: too fat, too independent, too courageous, too strong, too driven, too kind and too silly. I’ve even been advised that I’m too intelligent, and that makes men uncomfortable.
As long as too kind is included in a ‘too much’ description of someone, then they’re ok in my books.
You see, long, long ago I came to understand that I will never be perfect. Shocking, I know.
Let me let you in on a little secret; women who are accused of being ‘too’ anything are usually women who live life so fully and fiercely that they scare the hell out of anyone living comfortably within the soul-destroying status quo.
They’re just jealous darlings. Don’t pay them any attention. Step over them and move one.
Wear the dress, put on those shoes, drink the bourbon, leave red lipstick prints on the crystal, and for the love of all that’s good and right in the world, speak your peace.
The world needs more of women who are too much.
Women belonging to the Too-Much sisterhood share these things in common;
- They’re good at what they do.
- They’re educated, have informed opinions, and feel comfortable having a hearty debate.
- They carry themselves with confidence, regardless of what size the tag on their dress says, or what they’re wearing.
- They indulge in decadence; food they can savour, lip-smacking wine, clothes that make them feel and look good, a hearty belly-laugh, the kind of sex that leaves you spent and sweat-soaked, last-minute holidays and cheering on their favourite team.
- They spend time doing whatever makes them happy, and they don’t feel guilty about it.
If you are a woman who has been accused of being too much, feeling too much, being too strong, too weak, too big, too small,too true to herself to really give a rat’s ass about what anyone else thinks, I tip my hat to you.
For the men afraid to love them, well, that’s your loss gents. A woman who is too much really knows how to have fun, and that might just be what the doctor ordered for you.
This holiday season, go ahead ladies. Be too much. Be you; be too in love with life to care.