The seasons are marked at our house according to what kind of footwear the kiddo needs; football cleats, baseball spikes, curling sliders, court shoes, water shoes…you name it, we’ve got it.
We are at the front end of what I refer to as deep summer.
I am ready to start canning tomatoes, salsa, chili sauce, and pickling beets. I wedge my domestic chores in between practices, playoffs and football camp. Oh yes, and my fuller-than-full-time-gig as a professional, working, single mom.
This is a bittersweet time of year. The sun is setting earlier, and there’s a crisp edge to damp air each evening when I sit out on my little patio before bedtime.
Although I love the summer sunshine,the tail end of the season is more precious because we can feel it slipping away.
I capture the essence of August in the fresh produce put up for another cold, icy winter, and enjoying the sunshine into the autumn.
As sweet as summertime is, fall has always been the season of my heart.
I give you another list;
~Reasons that the end of Summer & Cool Fall days are the Best Time of the Year~
1) Cool nights that call for sweaters and curling in up with your true-love under a blanket, watching for falling stars.
2) Canning and preserving all the delicious fruits of your summer time gardening-labours.
3) Pumpkin spice lattes. Pumpkin pie. Thanksgiving turkey.
4) Football season, and cheering on your local team.
5) Fuzzy socks
6) Long drives along winding roads to buy your produce from small farmer’s markets.
7) Winery tours during the grape harvest.
8) Long walks, holding hands and kisses on cold lips and cold noses.
9) Delicious, hearty stews by candlelight with red wine and hoards of good company.
10) The World Series.
~Wishing you sunny days and a satisfying slide into autumn.~