I love the holidays.
Yes, even the displays in the stores that begin in October. Just because we live in a world where we are brainwashed into our consumer stupors, doesn’t mean we have to participate.
It’s ok, more than ok, just to enjoy the lights, the energy, and be quietly reflective.
Today I offer you my current Top Ten list of Christmasy things to help get your ‘Christmas On’…
1) Eggnog, eggnot lattes (which, I must confess, comes a close second (gasp!) to the Starbucks Caramel Brulee Latte), Eggnog and rum, Eggnog shortbread, Eggnog snogs under the mistletoe…
2) Christmas Carols, and radio stations that are ‘All Christmas’ at this time of year. After all, you can always turn it off and on whenever the mood strikes.
3) Snuggling under a blanket and watching the snow fall.
4) A warm, roaring fireplace.
5) Cookies. There is always an abundance at Christmas time, and I can totally enjoy that!!!
6) Donating or volunteering for charities. It’s fun, it makes you feel good, and it helps other people – t’is the season after all!
7) Christmas parties – an excuse to buff and scrub and feel pretty…and dance!
8) Getting Christmas cards in the mail. Better than bills and junk mail by far. This includes the crazy, too-freaking-much-information letters that people send out. I love those.
9) Giving gifts. Whether it’s a cup of coffee or a coveted luxury item, it’s nice to light up someone’s day and let them know that you listen, and you like to make them happy.
10) Time with friends. This my number one favourite thing about Christmas. This is a gift you can’t return, or have stolen from you. It’s the true meaning of the season, and I look so forward to these special coffee, dinner, party…and ‘whatever’ dates with my friends, family and colleagues.
I hope that this niggles your hum-bug and helps you see some of the simple joys that are available not just during Christmas time, but all year ’round.