My shopping is finished before mid-November. My wrapping is complete within a week of putting up my tree (also in November), and my schedule is chock-a-block with Christmas get-togethers by the time the calendar is turned to the month of December.
And then I think of just one more gift. Just one more person who could use a little treat.
That one more person is often the current apple of my very hard to catch beautiful blue eye.
First there is the question of whether to buy a gift at all.
Should I? Shouldn’t I? What if they get all awkward and all, “I forgot your gift at home,” or, well, just weird.
But what if they don’t? What if they genuinely love the idea that you thought enough of them to offer them something at Christmas time?
What if, whether or not they turn out to be the love of your life or not, you end up brightening up someone’s life during the season of mystery, light and goodwill. Either way, going out on the gift-giving limb is win-win, situation.
Are you afraid of rejection or having your pride hurt? Sissy. If, at this stage we don’t go after what we want, we’ll be lonely old pitiful souls.
So, I have decided that this year, I will be buying the man who puts a twinkle in my eye and a little skip in my middle-aged step a small gift to let him know that he is in my heart.
For the ladies and gentleman out there who aren’t ready to hop into the sack, profess their undying love, nor are ready to give up getting to know someone special, I offer you a list of things you may wish to offer as a small token of your affection;
1) A beautiful pair of gloves or mittens with a little note..think something like, ” Wishing you a warm and cozy holiday,” for the more bold, you may like to try, “These are to keep your strong, capable hands warm so that you can warm me up later tonight.”
2) Cologne/Perfume; a small bottle. Perhaps offer to dab a little bit behind their ear and then take a slow breath next to their skin to inhale the scent. For the more bold lovers out there, buy yourself a wonderful new scent, dab a bit on your décolletage, direct their schnoz to your perfumed fleshy heaven and ask them if they like it.
3) Homemade baking. We’ve all heard that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, but women also appreciate a man who knows how to stir up something sweet.
4) An ornament. Be prepared to explain why it’s special and why you chose it for your sweetheart.
5) Music. Let them know which song reminds you of them and why.
6) Take them out for a walk or a movie or a quaint cup of coffee. Time, after all is a wonderful gift, and one that everyone appreciates.
7) A wine, scotch, bourbon or beer tasting. Go out and have some fun. Let them know that you know what they like, and you want them to enjoy themselves.
8) A cozy blanket. Again, I suggest a note for the meek, ” Wishing you a warm and cozy Christmas.” For the less meek, “Hoping we can get into some trouble under the covers.”
9) An advent calendar with notes tucked inside. For the meek, include something pithy, generic and inspirational from tumbler, etc. For the less meek, leave a daily hint as to where to find you under the mistletoe on a certain date, at an exact time – clothing optional.
10) Give them a calendar for the new year with notes and dates you’ll spend together, written throughout the months of the year.
Whatever you decide to do, just DO something.