The final of three sumptuous Antipasti dishes sure to delight as we welcome the spring sunshine renew all that is wonderful and fresh about ourselves and our relationships.
This week’s recipe, Stuffed Squid, is perfect for grilling on the BBQ, making sure you get the most of the outdoors this weekend.
Be sure to check out my music selection below….
Stuffed Squid/Calamari Ripieni
1) 10 tbsp. olive oil
2) 1.5 cups chopped onion
3) 4 minced cloves of garlic
4) 12 medium squid, cleaned and tentacles chopped
5) 1.5 cups bread crumbs
6) 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese (optional)
7) 2 tsp lemon zest
8) 5 tbsp. lemon juice
9) 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
10) Salt and pepper
11) 3 tbsp. capers
1) Heat 3 tbsp. oil over medium heat in a pan. Add onion and cook through (~10 minutes). Add garlic and chopped squid tentacles. Add 1 cup to 1.5 cups of the bread crumbs to make the consistency more firm and less wet. Continue to cook for ~ 5 minutes to cook through.
2) Remove from heat and add cheese, lemon zest and 1 tbsp. of the lemon juice, parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3) Once the stuffing is cook fill the squid and secure the ends with a toothpick.
4) Whisk together 5 tbsp. of olive oil, 4 tbsp. lemon juice and capers to use as a dressing for the cooked squid.
5) Place squid on skewers and brush with remaining olive oil. Cook directly on the grill for ~ 3 minutes on each side until the squid and stuffing is cooked through (squid will be opaque). *** If you are using your oven broiler, place squid on broiler pan or tray, turning once)
6) Transfer cooked squid to serving tray, and coat with dressing. Serve hot.